Thursday, July 26, 2012

Can Men & Women Be Friends?

Okay, I’ll call this the shoot yourself in the foot segment … “Can men & women be friends?” The age-old question, right? Well, “The Five” recently brought this question to the streets of New York for some ‘unbiased’ answers. Watch for yourself and see what ‘America’ thinks …






Watch the video for yourself here ... Fox News, "The Five": Can Men & Women Be Friends?"



I must say, I have to respect the guy who admitted that he has ‘hot’ women friends in order to meet other attractive women. That is not only honesty that I can respect, but smart, if you ask me ; )

I think that Eric hit the nail on the head when he said “This is a no-win … this is just a bad segment. “

When Bob asks Greg if he knows of a man with a very attractive female friend who had not thought beyond the friendship, Greg answers … “No. It’ impossible … that’s not how men are wired.”

Well, I’m sorry but I think that’s a load of crap! Men and women have a lot to offer one another beyond mere physical attraction and satisfaction and even IF the physical attraction may occasionally lead to thoughts of physical satisfaction, it doesn’t mean that you have to act on them?! Right? Men are not all animals … but they are human, so let’s cut them a little slack and not back them into a corner or try to shove them into a box to satisfy our society’s compelling need to always draw lines.

Eric also said that he’s noticed what seems to be a new trend, kids in their young teens … 13 & 14 (age of his son)... of the opposite sex being friends.   I see the same thing with my daughter of the same age, but I don’t think that’s a new trend? From a very young age, I’ve always had male friends … male and female friends. In college almost all my friends were guys because I was an engineering major.

Men as friends are great, in my humble opinion, because they will take you just as you are --from my experience. With men you don’t have to be perfect or to share all your deep secrets, hopes fears and silly dreams unless on occasion you happen to want to. Men are masters of enjoying life in the moment and that’s such a great, low-stress/refreshing, way to live. Don’t get me wrong, men can plan and work toward future goals, but it doesn’t consume every aspect of their waking moments and define who they are when they’re ‘off the clock’ so to speak.

And my last (perhaps best?) argument for men being great to have as friends: men don’t play games … the backstabbing or the ‘what have you done for me lately’ crap (not that all women do this).

We women can learn a lot from men, I think and vice versa. As for married men having friends –hot or otherwise—I say why not? Maybe you have to trust your spouse/sig. other on some level and if you can’t maybe you have some relationship or personal issues that need to be worked through. If a spouse is going to cheat, they’re going to cheat … friends or not. When and if they do cheat, you work through it … we’re only human after all. Life’s too short to only always color between the lines and worry about "what if?"  What a suffocating, stressful way to choose to live?

Well that’s my two cents worth on men and women being friends. What’s yours?




P.S.  I've almost hit 60,000 page views [since Blogger started keeping track of this statistic for users: 1-2 years ago?].  Think hitting 60,000 page views might just call for a celebration.  Share a bottle of champagne with me? ; )

No comments: