Sunday, May 13, 2012

Still We RISE ...



I was very blessed this Mother’s Day. The sun was shining brilliantly, I didn’t have to cook all day long and I received many wonderful handmade gifts and cards, along with a simple but elegant small silver cross necklace [ I love to wear crosses ... Sometimes I wear as many as three at once : ) ]  But the best gift of all, for me, was probably being able to spend this Mother’s Day with my own Mom. Now that we live on opposite ends of the country, I don’t get to see her as often as I would like. So having her and my father up for a visit this past weekend was a real treat for me. The kids enjoyed spending time with their grandparents –only ones they have—as well.

I hope all of the AMAZING Moms out there had a fabulous day as well … that their children and families made them feel special, truly LOVED and appreciated this dedicated day. Women have a gentle, quiet and often unspoken power flowing through them. We are strong and resilient, yet we can be tender and loving. I think we often underestimate ourselves, as does the world around us? But wherever we may go and whatever circumstances we may find ourselves in, our strength enables us to rise again … rise above … to reach out embrace and fill this world of ours with unconditional LOVE. ♥

I would like to dedicate this photograph of a powerful waterfall --that I took this weekend-- along with this poem by Maya Angelou as a tribute to all the wonderful Mother’s in our world for this Mother’s Day 2012 [Click here to see My Poem for Mother's Day --written last year]. May God continue to Bless, Support, Nurture and Guide our wonderful Mothers throughout the remaining year ahead. May God especially Bless those women who find themselves living in countries where basic rights and freedoms are denied to women.  May He keep them and those that they love safe from harm and fill their hearts and minds with a never-ending Hope for a brighter future.







"Snowqualmie Falls", May 2012
@Copyrighted Photograph.  All Rights Reserved.







Still I Rise


You may write me down in history
With your bitter, twisted lies,
You may trod me in the very dirt
But still, like dust, I'll rise.

Does my sassiness upset you?
Why are you beset with gloom?
'Cause I walk like I've got oil wells
Pumping in my living room.

Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise.

Did you want to see me broken?
Bowed head and lowered eyes?
Shoulders falling down like teardrops.
Weakened by my soulful cries.

Does my haughtiness offend you?
Don't you take it awful hard
'Cause I laugh like I've got gold mines
Diggin' in my own back yard.

You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I'll rise.

Does my sexiness upset you?
Does it come as a surprise
That I dance like I've got diamonds
At the meeting of my thighs?

Out of the huts of history's shame
I rise
Up from a past that's rooted in pain
I rise
I'm a black ocean, leaping and wide,
Welling and swelling I bear in the tide.
Leaving behind nights of terror and fear
I rise
Into a daybreak that's wondrously clear
I rise
Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave,
I am the dream and the hope of the slave.
I rise
I rise
I rise.

Poem By, Maya Angelou








Interestingly enough, the hydro-electric plant at this falls is currently undergoing a reconstruction update.  Thus, the path through the woods down to the river's edge beneath the falls is currently closed.  This forced us to explore neighboring parks in search of some point from which we could access the river proper.  The other access points that we found showed a shallower, slower moving side of this river ... just bordering on gentle, but still moving at a brisk and lively pace.  Seeing these different facets of the same Snowqualmie river --having only experienced the more powerful flow at the foot of the large Snowqualmie Falls-- made me keenly aware that this river seemed to mirror what I have come to know about the nature of woman.  Like woman, this river was strong and powerful where it needed to be, but softer, nourishing and caressing ... almost tender at the lesser junctures.

I couldn't find one song that seemed appropriate for all mother's.  Think the song depends on the mom and your relationship with her.  So go find your song for your MOM. 


Peace, Love & Happy Mother's Day!


~M




No comments: