Wednesday, December 22, 2010

"Lame Duck" Session of Congress: Time to coin a new term?

"Lame Duck" session of Congress?  Maybe it's time to coin a new term?  (Hmmmm ... have to think on possible candidates for a new term ... Any suggestions?)  This session of Congress, the 111th - 2nd Session, has been many things, but "lame" is definitely NOT one of them. 




Analysts are now saying that this Congress has been (remarkably, mostly in these last few weeks of the the Lame Duck session) one of the most legislatively active sessions of Congress in the past 6 decades.  This session of Congress will no doubt go down in history for its legislative accomplishments.  Chief among these:  Signing of the Stark Treaty, Repeal of  the U.S. Military's 'Don't ask Don't Tell' policy, Passing 9/11 Healtcare Compensation Package for First Responder and the miraculous bi-partisan effort to extend the tax credits for all Americans.

I have to say that getting back to basics ... focusing on what's truly important this Christmas ... the simple things seems to be working not just at the individual and family level, but on up the chain as well.  This Christmas season, even though things have been considerably scaled back for me and my own family, I feel the true Spirit of Christmas more than ever.  This year, I see that people are genuinely smiling in the stores and malls, on the streets and in their cars.  I actually hear Christmas music in public places, as the norm rather than the exception, and I've had more than one store clerk smile and wish me a "Merry Christmas" (not just a "happy holiday") as they handed me my package over the store counter.  I think that people finally realize that even if someone doesn't celebrate the birth of Jesus, or believe in Jesus, they can still share in the joy ... the love ... the Christmas Spirit without being offended. 

On a larger scale, just maybe ... people ... Americans ... finally realize that it is our diversity that makes America unique in the world ... that makes us "America!"... that we should embrace one another and move forward instead of wasting precious time, energy and resources tearing one another apart and worrying about being politically correct ("PC").  Perhaps the hunter has taken his focus off the duck and blown PC (both in the traditional as well as in political sense) out of the water instead?

For the first time, in a long time, I can breathe a sigh of relief and truly feel as if things are looking up for this country that I love.  God Bless America and a Magical & Merry Christmas to all who pass this way!  May God Bless you and yours in the New Year.

Peace & Love,
M


P.S.  I will be keeping Congress, and all of our elected officials ... representatives of "We the people", in my prayers as we move forward into the new year.  I will pray that our elected officials will continue to embrace this newfound peace ... goodwill ... bi-partisanship, as they strive to enact legislation that serves and represents "We the people" in a concerted effort to make The United States of America strong once again.

No comments: