Friday, November 30, 2012

Undermining our National Security?

Some thoughts from a middle class citizen's perspective as our nation teeters on the brink of its "fiscal cliff" ....









Would I like to receive my “2K” tax break this tax year? Of course. My family would put this additional ‘income’ to good use. Do I think that the net combined effect of this middle class tax-break will have a significant positive impact on the economy? No I do not believe that this middle class tax- break will have a significant impact on the economy. I believe that the impact on the economy will be marginal at best. What we need in order to get our economy moving once again is long term job creation (i.e., create an environment favorable to bringing jobs from overseas back to the United States and heavily penalize goods & services brought back into the U.S. by companies choosing to have their products and services 'made' by foreign workers).

Do I think that raising taxes on those individuals making over $250,000 a year will be a major source of revenue generation. No I do not think that raising taxes on those individuals making over $250,000 a year will be a major source of revenue generation. That being said, if we are looking to slash benefits for programs like Medicare and Medicaid --in a effort to reign-in and reduce deficit spending-- then is asking the top income earners to pay a bit more that outrageous? I don’t think so. And as for the Republican argument that “raising taxes on individuals making over $250,000 a year will hurt small businesses who are job creators, employing approximately 25% of the American workforce”: then why not just enable a tax-provision whereby those who file taxes as a legitimate small business owner will continue to pay the lower tax rate as they have done in previous years. Why is it so difficult to make the latter distinction? But if Republicans give on the raising taxes for individuals making over $250,000 --with the business caveat—I don’t think that Democrats should be able to slide addressing concrete spending cuts to entitlement programs in order to address deficit spending over into next year. There has to be a give and take --on both sides of the aisle-- right now.

I think that we have become such a sharply divided nation, in terms of politics, these past few years –and after this recent Presidential election most especially—that our elected representatives have come to approach the problems facing our nation from an “all or NOTHING!” or “winner take all” perspective, totally overlooking the possibility of a middle=ground for viable solutions to move forward.

So in light of the above: Am I willing to forgo my middle class tax-break? Absolutely!! … I will gladly forgo my tax-break if the elected representatives of “we the people” will stop playing political volleyball with our country’s future and national security, by finally getting their butts to the negotiating table, rolling up their sleeves, sitting down and doing what it takes to stop sequestration cuts from going into effect. Enough with the party politics already?! With a 49 -51 split on the Presidential vote neither side has sweeping mandate to do ANYTHING. The sequestration cuts –which will go into effect after the first of the new year-- will greatly undermine our National Security, in my humble opinion, at a time when we can ill-afford to have our military undermined in such an egregious fashion. It’s been four years since Congress has been able to pass an actual budget: I think it’s about dang time they got down to business!! If they can’t: maybe “we the people” should recall* them ALL?



[* That is to say vote them out of office when they are up for re-election.  Technically there exists no formal provision in the Constitution for recalling elected officials by the people they represent ... a senator or congressman can only suffer expulsion via the elected body in which they serve (i.e., via Congressional vote or Senate vote).]

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing issues here. I am very happy to peer your post.
Thank you a lot and I am looking forward to contact you. Will you please drop me a
mail?

Anonymous said...

Excellent, what a webpage it is! This blog presents
helpful information to us, keep it up.

Michelle (Isabelle) said...

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I appreciate your input. Best to both of you!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's what I was searching for, what a material!
present here at this website, thanks admin of this web page.

Michelle (Isabelle) said...

Thanks for all the wonderful comments! Happy New Year and Best to Everyone in the New Year 2019 = ) I am just using Google's Blogger platform as the host, no external link. They are the best!

Michelle (Isabelle) said...

A willingness to expose yourself to new thoughts, ideas and even to consider the point of view of another --preferably in the absence of judgment-- is a really huge step in the right direction towards enlightenment, spiritually as well as intellectually speaking. This is how we go about the business of changing the world, one ripple at a time. Thanks for stopping by to read and making the effort to leave a comment. Your input is truly appreciated!!!

Anonymous said...

Great information. Lucky me I discovered your blog by chance (stumbleupon).

I've book-marked it for later!

Michelle (Isabelle) said...

So very good to hear from you. I sincerely appreciate the bookmark. Look forward to hearing from again in the future. Best to you!!

Anonymous said...

This article provides clear idea designed for the new users
of blogging, that in fact how to do blogging.

Anonymous said...

This blog was... how do you say it? Relevant!! Finally I
have found something that helped me. Kudos!

Anonymous said...

Useful info. Fortunate me I found your site by chance, and I am stunned why this coincidence didn't came about earlier!

I bookmarked it.

Anonymous said...

I like the valuable information you supply to your articles.

I will bookmark your blog and test again right here regularly.
I am somewhat certain I'll learn a lot of new stuff
proper right here! Best of luck for the next!

Michelle (Isabelle) said...

Finished with my February challenges. Nice to return and find so many inspiring comments waiting. I sincerely appreciate you all taking to the time to stop by, read and leave me so many comments! Hope 2019 is treating everyone exceptionally well thus far. Any suggestions for future topics???

Anonymous said...

Fantastic beat ! I wish to apprentice at the same time as
you amend your website, how can i subscribe for a weblog website?

The account aided me a acceptable deal. I have been tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided shiny clear concept

Anonymous said...

Good way of describing, and pleasant article to obtain information about my presentation subject matter, which i am going to
present in institution of higher education.