Friday, February 13, 2009

Sidebar: Imaginary Friends

Remember when you were a kid and you had an imaginary friend? Well many of us did. Wouldn't it be nice if we could have real friends, as adults, that were just like our imaginary friends? Imaginary friends don't have any expectations of us. Not a single one. They love us on good days and bad days alike. They don't care if our hair is messy. They don't care if we have fancy clothes. They don't care if we drive fancy cars. They don't care whether, or not, we are extremely exciting people, who travel to exotic places and lead adventurous lives. And best of all they don't ask, or expect, a single thing of us in return for their friendship.

I think that most of us would do well to ask ourselves, "am I a true friend to the people in my life?" Then to answer the latter question: use the "imaginary" friend as a template. Would we not all be better friends, and better people in general, who made a difference in the world --one person at a time -- if we lowered our expectations of others and stopped looking at friendship as a "what have you done for me lately?" situation? Or as some twisted, name dropping (i.e., "I know so and so"), social climbing, living vicariously through someone else, scenario? And, I think gossip should be one of the 'deadly sins'.

Maybe my astrological sign, Taurus -- which I typically regard as total crap -- has a grain of truth in it after all? Taurus don't have many friends, but the friends they have: they have for life.

3/29/09 I've had much time to reflect upon this entry, and I think that I found an answer:

"Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity." Hanlon's Razor (akin to Ockham's Razor)

6/28/09

My girls just finished a year of public school, in the new state where we are now residing. They have always gone to private schools. I have to say, that this year of public school has been so refreshing. We're finally dealing with real down-to-earth people, who aren't putting on airs and keeping up appearances. I would never do the keeping up appearances thing. I'm a die-hard rebel in that respect. So I guess we never fit in with the 'boutique' family crowd. We're much happier here. Wish we'd done this sooner -- give public schools a try. Of course, I do have to supplement some, but not much. This summer we'll do science projects (e.g., blow things up, etc. : ), I'm teaching the girls French and doing a music/art appreciation thing. Public school can rock with good parent involvement and support!

No comments: