Thursday, December 03, 2009

'Head of the Demon'

I found ArtMagick on Facebook.  Seems they had some insight into a painting that I was quite puzzled by ...


'Head of the Demon', By Mikhail Vrubel (Image from ArtMagick.com)



It turns out that this painting was done to illustrate a poem, titled: 'The Demon' (published posthumously in 1842), by the Russian poet Mikhail Lermontov. The poem tells of a demon (dark angel?) who falls in love with a mortal woman.  Here is the link to a site containing other works by Vrubel as well as the poem:

http://dxsuperpremiumart.blogspot.com/2009/01/mikhail-vrubel-and-russian-symbolists.html

(see post for Monday, January 19, 2009)

This poem is a fascinating read and in keeping with my other latest pursuit, Dante's 'Inferno' (i.e., creepy ethereal).

Let me know what you think ...

I, personally, feel sorry for the demon in this poem.  To me, if he ... the demon... is capable of feeling love, then he has something in him yet that is worthy of redemption ... does he not?  I don't think that our Creator ... God .... is vengeful ... on the contrary, I believe that He is merciful, patient, loving and kind.  I believe that He has hope for ALL of us ... and even where there exists only a spark of His divine light, therein lies the chance for redemption.



P.S. For those who worry about all the dark matter that I seem to be reading lately ... I have finished up one of my 7 other reads and have begun a new book about God, the Bible, and finding the God of the Bible (Old Testement) in the world of today.  The book is titled:

"Where God Was Born: A Daring Adventure Through the Bible's Greatest Stories" (P.S.) (Paperback)




~ Bruce Feiler (Author)
 
 

 
It's a very insightful and surprisingly action packed read.  Hard to put down once I get going  : )  Adds balance to my reading repetoire ... Happy reading!   -M

No comments: