Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Out of Darkness, Light???

While trying to find some insight into the recent outbreak of the "deadly Coronavirus" from China --corona, from the Latin word for "crown",for this is the structure the virus appears take on when viewed beneath a microscope--  I wound up watching a documentary on the epidemiology of the infamous "Black Death" that ravaged Western Europe in the mid-fourteenth century.  After all, we are about due for our next pandemic??? ... Very informative documentary.  I now "know more than I ever wanted to know about the digestive process of fleas."  I also learned that plague epidemics on par with the "Black Plague" had actually struck earlier in the six-century, with the "Justinian Plaque", and then again later, in the mid-eighteenth century, with the "Asian Plague."   Where the latter epidemic finally led to the identification of the bacteria responsible for these plagues ghastly symptoms:  Yersinia Pestis (named after the French scientist, Alexandre Yersin --student of Louis Pasteur-- who was attributed with the detailed description/discovery of the bacteria, although Shibasaburo Kitasato --student of Robert Koch-- was first to identify the source).  I learned about zoonotic diseases and how Ebola and Aids viruses came into being.  But by far the most interesting thing I learned from this documentary is that 10-20% of people descended from survivors of the Western European "Black Death" (mid-fourteenth century) have a gene mutation, CCR5-delta 32, which makes these fortunate descendants immune to the Aids virus by preventing the virus from entering healthy cells.  The thinking here being that something other than the plague-driven bacteria from infected fleas biting humans was simultaneously causing the hemorrhagic fever version of the disease, likely a virus akin to something like smallpox ... also a zoonotic disease. This is the first time I have ever heard of such immunity, but I have always wondered about immunity where Aids is concerned.  Most intriguing is it not, that this immunity has its likely origins in the bi-product of one of the most horrific diseases to ever 'plague' mankind?




Reminds me of the inter-transformation of Yin and Yang in the ongoing spiral of Life within our amazing universe .... I am so very grateful for the many scientists who dedicate their lives to unraveling these medical mysteries so that we might have a greater understanding with which to combat the spread of future diseases.  And, I heard, via news sources, that a pharma company working on an Ebola vaccination thinks they might be able to  use their research in order to come up with a vaccination for this latest deadly disease, the Coronavirus.  Myself, I am revisiting my essential oils in search of natural oils with extreme antiviral properties ... an ounce of prevention, right?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is perfect time to make some plans for the long run and it is time to be happy.
I have read this publish and if I could I wish
to suggest you some fascinating issues or tips. Perhaps
you can write subsequent articles referring to this article.
I wish to read even more issues approximately it!

Michelle (Isabelle) said...

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I read this now and reflect that my life has once again become submerged in darkness with the passing of my father and the uncertainty facing the nation heading into a Presidential Election. Perhaps at some point, when I get caught back up in school, I will share some thoughts on ways to help manage our times of darkness. I have to say right off the bat, for me an ability to be out and immersed within nature is so KEY to my staying sane, being grounded, so that I have hope of eventually finding my way back into balance once again. Sending LIGHT and love your way! ~Isa/M