Friday, September 21, 2018

What is Qi ("Chi") Anyway?

You know, Yin & Yang, Light and Dark ... Qi (pronounced "Chi").  "May the Force be with you"???


Well, there are likely many answers to this question, but how about coming up with an answer that might actually stand up to the scrutiny of logic and reason???  Does such an answer even exist? .... Well, my brilliant, Mensa-minded, husband and I were having such a discussion just the other night at the end of a long hard day and week.  A glass of wine always seems to get our intellectual juices flowing and allows us to mesh on a common plane, for Ken is all intellect and therefore assumes I am all free-flowing spirit.  I actually, like to think I'm a pretty good balance between the two, myself, but to each his own opinion, right.  So anyway, we're sitting on the comfortable worn leather sofa, in soft the soft lighting of the living room.  As we're sipping wine my husband suddenly asks me "So what exactly is "Chi" anyway?"  My short answer:  "Qi is THE Spirit energy that drives the functions of body to 'move' into action.  It's the link between the spiritual and the physical."  Now, you have to understand,  my husband is the quintessential "Doubting Thomas" (from the Bible, the Apostle who needed to place his fingers into Jesus's five wounds before he was able to allow himself to to believe that Jesus had actually arisen from the dead).  To my husband's (Ken) way of thinking, if he can't see it, touch it, quantify or calculate something he cannot accept it as truth.  [His world is literally black and white, which is kind of funny because he's married to me:  the 'definition' of grey.]  To this end, Ken is on an insatiable search for input in an ongoing quest for knowledge  [Funny story I'll have share about this later, at the end of this post].




Well somewhat predictably in response to my given explanation as to "what Qi is," Ken scrunches up his nose and shakes his head in disbelief.  He doesn't quite buy into things pertaining to the unexplainable, the Spirit Realm.  "So do plants and animals have "Chi", then?" Ken wonders aloud.

My reply "Absolutely.  Why wouldn't they?"

"Because, they're not human."

I have to laugh.  We could spin off onto a tangent conversation here about "what is a soul" and "what are the criteria for having a soul," but I want to keep the conversation on focus.  So I mention scientific experiments where scientist have weighed human bodies just before death and then immediately after the medical pronouncement of death.  What these scientists have found is that the body consistently loses 21 grams (these are the original experiments, but there have been more recent experiments as well).  Moreover, these researchers have attributed this 21 grams of weight difference (loss) to the "mass of the soul" which leaves the body after death.  "So perhaps the soul is the vessel which houses the Qi?"  I offer.  "When Qi leaves the body, the body becomes inanimate, what we would think of as non-living or dead."


Image Source:  Wikipedia via the link given above


Nope, Ken's not buying it.  He explains that Einstein's famous equation E = MC ^2 was actually initially written and published as  M = E / C^2, that is to say that Mass is comprised of Energy over the Speed of Light squared or in laymen's terms  it means "Energy actually has Mass."  Does that blow your mind?  Do you find it hard to wrap your mind around such a concept?  Well, check this out ... Scientists have actually done experiments where they have attempted to measure the "weight" (mass ... weight= mass x gravity) of two clocks to a high degree of atomic precision.  The first clock has power.  It is moving and actively keeping time.  The second clock has no power; it isn't moving or keeping time.  What the scientists in this instance found is that the clock with power --where clocks are comprised of the identical components, save for one clock having a charged battery and the second clock having a dead/non-functioning battery-- actually weighed more, significantly more, than the clock with the dead battery.  So Ken tries to reason, "it's a power thing, not a spirit thing" as if to imply that this alone (power vs. non-power) accounts for the difference in weight between a living body and the same later deceased body.

"Ah, my Doubting Thomas."  I laugh.  "You have just made my point for me.  What exactly do you suppose is the primal source of energy for driving the functions within the living body?  The difference between being alive and not?"  He doesn't answer, so I answer for him  "The difference is Qi, Cosmic Energy, Universal Energy, the Original Source Energy or whatever you want to call it.  Qi is the link between the spiritual and the physical, "the cosmic battery source" if you will.  "Qi is what allows our spirit to manifest itself into the realm of the physical by way of an actively functioning physical body."  Well, Ken's still not buying it, but I can tell by the look upon his face that I've planted a seed, or rather a thorn, in that brilliant mind of his.  Time will tell, if this seed begins to germinate... So, what say you?  How would you attempt to explain "What Qi is?" and do you happen to believe in the concept of souls?  Do you believe that plants and animals have a soul? Do they have Qi?  Is Qi that which connects us all?


~-------~

A funny side story on the insatiable quest for knowledge ....

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks designed for sharing such a good idea, article is fastidious,
thats why i have read it completely

Michelle (Isabelle) said...

Awesome! Thank you. So glad you enjoyed. Best to you!

Anonymous said...

I think this is one of the most vital information for
me. And i'm glad reading your article. But want to remark on some general
things, The website style is wonderful, the articles is really great : D.
Good job, cheers

Michelle (Isabelle) said...

Thank you! Appreciate your stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment.

Anonymous said...

If some one wishes expert view regarding blogging and site-building after that i recommend him/her to go to see this
weblog, Keep up the nice work.

Michelle (Isabelle) said...

Thank you both for your kind and inspiring words. I sincerely appreciate your stopping by and taking the time to comment. Best to you!

Anonymous said...

If you want to obtain a great deal from this post then you have to apply such methods to your
won web site.

Anonymous said...

It is actually a nice and helpful piece of info. I am satisfied that you just
shared this useful info with us. Please stay
us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

It is appropriate time to make some plans for the
long run and it's time to be happy. I've learn this
submit and if I could I want to suggest you few
interesting things or tips. Perhaps you could write
subsequent articles relating to this article. I wish to learn even more issues approximately it!

Anonymous said...

You ought to be a part of a contest for one of the best sites on the internet.

I'm going to recommend this website!

Anonymous said...

Its like you read my mind! You seem to know so much about
this, like you wrote the book in it or something.
I think that you could do with a few pics to drive the message home a bit, but instead of that, this is wonderful blog.
A fantastic read. I will definitely be back.

Michelle (Isabelle) said...

Thank you all for stopping by! So glad you found some useful info and insights here in my words. Always happy to have other join in on the discussion. As for comments stating my blog has issues in different browsers, I have tried my blog in Opera, Chrome and Firefox and it seems to run fine for me. Often times issues are due to an individual user setting in their browser, I have found (for example make sure you have enabled "thrid party" cookies in your browser ... not enabling this will produce a whole host of issues on most websites). I use Linux operating system over Windows most of the the time, so I don't know how this blog views Internet Explorer? When I used to run Internet Explorer on my Windows PC I always had a ton of issues, so maybe you should try another browser?

Michelle (Isabelle) said...

Thank you! =) Glad you enjoyed my take on "What is Qi". Appreciate your stopping by and commenting!

Anonymous said...

Hi-ya, awesome internet site you've at this time there.

Michelle (Isabelle) said...

Thank you! Appreciate your stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment. Best to you!