Saturday, February 24, 2007

The Family Connection?

In an earlier post I spoke about "making a connection" and how we are all connected.

Well continuing along in that line of thought: don't be dismayed if you just can't make a connection. Give yourself some credit for attempting to  make an effort at all and then just let it go. You can't force a connection. Forcing the square peg to fit in the round hole may seem like the rational thing to do in the moment, but in the long run "uncomfortable" will likely be the best case scenario result.

Sometimes the hardest connections to make are those that you were born into, that is to say your family. You get to choose your friends, but you are just plain stuck with your family and vice versa. Fortunately, the little ones --the children-- help keep it real and honest.

So just grin and bear those family holiday get-togethers!  Focus on the LOVE and try not to sweat the small stuff, right?  Maybe you can focus on looking forward to the days when all of you will suffer from poor memory and other cognitive diseases. That way you won't remember small slights, disputes and general awkwardness at family get-togethers. ; )

PJP ~ "Peace, Joy & Prosperity" (whatever prosperity is for you)

P.S. You might also try eating some pie ... might just make you feel better?!  My nephew says this all the time "We all need to eat some pie!" ... see this also in the Movie, "Michael", with John Travolta.

3/12/07 In reflecting on this entry in days since, it occurs to me that I need to just keep on loving my family ... even if I don't always understand them. I've always said that my favorite Bible passage is 1 Corinthians 13:1-13, which speaks about the greatest all gifts: the gift is LOVE.   I just need to keep on LOVING them!

No comments: