Saturday, January 01, 2011

Bring on 2011 ...

Happy, Happy New Year!!  Welcome 2011  : )



Photo By Bethany : ) ... Space Needle 1_1_2011


So are you ready for 2011?  I have to admit, "2011"does have rather a nice ring to it. Don't you think?

So, are you one of those crowd-followers who make an entire list of New Year's resolutions? Personally, I've never been really big on the whole "New Year's Resolution" thing ... I don't know; it just seems like a big cop-out on the whole rest of the year to my way of thinking. The way I see it: every day is an opportunity for improvement. Why try to pack all of your 'improvemnet' all into the beginning of the year? Aren't you just kinda setting yourself up for a fall in that scenario? The latter being said, if I'm pressed to say something --which I often am--I would say that my resolution is to try my best to look at life --all around-- through the eyes of a child and to not take it all so seriously: 'cuz Life's too short!!

... And on that note, this child probably oughta get her tired self into bed. I don't want to start the New Year off with me dragging my xxxx ; ) Sweet dreams and a Happy New Year's Day to ya'll tomorrow.


Peace ... or rather the extended 'PJP' ... (Peace, Joy & Prosperity)
~Michelle



Later afternoon ...
Decided to bake gingerbread cookies today, in celebration of the New Year. We always have so much fun making "Christmas" cookies that I thought it would be a fun way to ring in the New Year ... and of course gingerbread cookies are my absolute favorites!  Our gingerbread are homemade --from 'scratch'-- with homemade vanilla creme frosting and broken candy canes sprinkled on top.  These cookies go great with a cup of hot cocoa! YUM!! I'll try to post the recipe soon. I use a version of Martha Stewart's and while I'm not huge Martha Stewart fan, I do have to admit: that woman does know how to make cookies! 



Photo By Bethany : ) ...
You know, if they found a way to make a "gingerbread" cologne for men,
I think that it would be irresistable!  ... Well, I'd be all over it ; )


Wrapped this first day of the New Year up with Ken's homemade gumbo --New Orlean's style-- followed by watching the movie "White Christmas", with Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Rosemary Clooney and Vera Ellen.  I always enjoy watching this movie every year around Christmas- time.  To me, "White Christmas" is just quintessential Christmas to me: I LOVE IT!!  My oldest child tells me tonight, "This is THE ONLY old movie that I actually get [understand]."  Last year, at Christmas-time, we were fortunate enough to have seen a live version of this classic story performed at the "5th Ave Theater", here in Seattle.   This year, the lead up to Christmas just went by so fast that there wasn't time to even think about watching this wonderful treasure of a movie. So something about Christmas has just felt like it was missing for me?

We used to borrow this movie from my parents when we lived in Texas.  Turns out Blockbuster up here didn't have this Christmas classic.  It wasn't for sale in any of the local stores either.  Still, I was hoping that Santa would bring me the movie "White Christmas" for Christmas, but it must have fallen out of his bag? ; )  My husband could apparently see that this movie's missing from Christmas was affecting me, so he lovingly spent some time on the phone today (of all days?) and finally tracked down what must have been THE LAST copy of "White Christmas" in the whole Seattle area.  Then he went out onto the icy roads and bought it for me so that I could watch it tonight ... and he bought the full-blown Blu-Ray --with bonus commentary from the original actors and extra clips-- version no less. The picture quality is excellent on Blue-ray! What a great guy my husband can be.  He's set for Brownie Points for awhile now, I'd say.  And if you haven't seen "White Christmas", the movie, yet for yourself:  you should!!  You'll love it ... It harkens back to simpler times, with a great story line and lots of fabulous dancing and singing along the way.

Hope you and yours enjoyed the first day of the New Year in your own special way!!   

No comments: