Friday, December 24, 2010

Let all the Earth Rejoice!!

We went to Christmas eve mass this evening.  I love the evening mass, with candles flickering softly, the smell of fresh pine, poinsettas as far as the eye can see and everyone dressed in their Christmas best.  There is a joyful anticipation in the air that can lift even the saddest of spirits.  Everyone does seem almost to be a "kid" again ... "from [age] 1 to 92" ... as the Bing Crosby Christmas song says.

I love the Christmas carols especially, even though I haven't yet found the voice in me to sing again.  I can still smile, sing in my heart and watch my three beautiful daughters sing for me.  Tonight the very talented and uplifting choir sang all three verses of "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" ... and I don't know if it is just that I had never heard all three verses of the song before ... or maybe it's just that I hadn't been paying attention? ... but the third verse of this song is just so very beautiful.  Here are the song lyrics in their entirety ...

Play Song:  "Hark the Herald Angels Sing"


Hark the herald angels sing
"Glory to the newborn King!
Peace on earth and mercy mild
God and sinners reconciled"
Joyful, all ye nations rise
Join the triumph of the skies
With the angelic host proclaim:
"Christ is born in Bethlehem"
Hark! The herald angels sing
"Glory to the newborn King!"


Christ by highest heav'n adored
Christ the everlasting Lord!
Late in time behold Him come
Offspring of a Virgin's womb
Veiled in flesh the Godhead see
Hail the incarnate Deity
Pleased as man with man to dwell
Jesus, our Emmanuel
Hark! The herald angels sing
"Glory to the newborn King!"


Hail the heav'n-born Prince of Peace!
Hail the Son of Righteousness!
Light and life to all He brings
Ris'n with healing in His wings
Mild He lays His glory by
Born that man no more may die
Born to raise the sons of earth
Born to give them second birth
Hark! The herald angels sing
"Glory to the newborn King!"


"Angels Entertaining the Holy Child", By Marianne Stokes
(Image Courtesy of ArtMagick.com)



I don't know, this last verse just truly speaks to me ... "Prince of Peace" ... "Light and life to all He brings" ... "Risen with healing in His wings" ... "Mild He lays His glory by" ... "Born to give them second birth".  These are things that really resonate in me.  This last verse is so uplifting, hopeful and inclusive.  I especially love the verse "Mild He lays His glory by" ... this is not a bold, in your face, self-righteous God ... He is rather humble, gentle, kind and loving.  That's my kind of God ... Creator ... Jesus.

Happy Birthday, Jesus!! ... Thank you for bringing your Light into the world.  And on this day, the day that we celebrate your birth ... your gift to us, let us remember that your Light shines within each of us and that we are called to pass it on to others.




(Ken didn't want to post our family photo here,
so this is the compromise ... and maybe it shows our  inner lights shining?)



Merry Christmas from our family to yours:  God's Peace, Light, and Love to all who pass this way.   Let all the Earth Rejoice!!   ... Indeed  : )

No comments: