Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Michelle's "Winging It" Homemade Salsa


I am a bit of a health food 'nut' -- my kid's words, not mine --and into natural healing.  Currently, I am fighting a cold, the flu (?), or something?!  My throat is incredibly sore and my sinuses are stuffy, so I'm making some of my homemade salsa.  It's a great immune system booster! Makes sore throats feel better and opens sinuses too. 

As I've said before, I hate to follow recipes; I'm also terrible about writing my own creations down on paper.  That being said:  here is Ken's attempt at trying to quantify my creation.  : )

If you're in an experimental mood or feeling lousy:  give it a try.  Enjoy!

11/3/2009 I've had a chance to remake the salsa using Ken's 'quantification' since this posting.  I've made a few minor adjustments.  Bottom line is: the TASTE has the final say.  But, I've marked tweaks with an '*' character.  Only added a bit more salt (I LOVE salt!), tad bit more Cilantro, and a dash more Olive Oil and Red Wine Vinegar.  Let me know what you think.



Michelle's "Winging It" Homemade Salsa



2 cans "petite cut" tomatoes, or 4 cups chopped fresh tomato (Roma or other)
1/2 of a medium red bell pepper chopped
1/2 cup purple onion chopped
4 scallions (green onions) -- top green part only -- chopped
1 medium Serrano (hot) pepper (1 pepper produces moderately spicy; add more or less to taste -- I like to put two peppers == !HOT! ... but kids won't eat that : ( )
1 tsp. finely chopped garlic from jar (or 1/2 clove if fresh)
*1/3 cup (densely packed) cilantro (fresh) finely chopped (but not overdone: want to keep juices in!)
*2.5 tbsp. red wine vinegar
*1.5 tbsp. olive oil (EVOO is best)
*1 tsp. salt (to taste)
1 level tsp. sugar (secret ingredient)
2-3 turns fresh ground black pepper (to taste)


Tip: This salsa tastes better after it has sat overnight ... then, all of the juices have had a chance to meld.

VIP: Needs to be REFRIGERATED!!! Should keep for up to two weeks.


Enjoy!



No comments: