Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Insomnia, Late Night Movies, and How Good We Have It ...

Yes, I have it: INSOMNIA. Lately it has been bad. Seems to become worse during times of amplified stress. Anyway, I absolutely could not sleep last night and I just needed to focus on something other than my life. So, I wound up watching a movie that I would not normally watch -- as the movie was pretty graphic and violent.

Anyway, the movie was on HBO -- I think -- and it was called:"Harrison's Flowers"(http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0216799/). The title tells you absolutely nothing about the subject the movie. The movie was about the ethnic cleansing, in war-torn Yugoslavia from 1991-1995. The movie is from the perspective of a wife (palyed by Andie MacDowell), who goes into Yugoslavia in search of her photojournalist husband who has disappeared and is presumed dead.

Wow! It was truly an eyeopener for me. I mean, I knew that an ethnic war was going on during this time, but I had no idea the actual scope of the violence and atrocities suffered by so many innocent victims. It is just mind boggling to me that anyone can harbor such a hatred for their fellow men over such simple differences in race, ideology, religion, and over mere ownership of land?

What's more this type of "war" is going on in the world all around us daily. It's not an isolated incident! Just look at the Middle East and countries in Africa, like Darfur. ( You may find these related links interesting: http://worldnews.about.com/od/celebrities/a/clooney_darfur.htm and http://action.one.org/ActionSignup.html?gclid=CKCele7N-IkCFQGPWAod-00mVw).

These realizations really put things into perspective and makes me feel silly for worrying about things like the importance of outrageous kid birthday parties?! It truly makes me grateful that I live in a country that -- for the most part -- values and thrives on diversity. A country where I have choices to believe as I choose, w.r.t. religion and politics, without fear or subject to violent reprisals.

It also makes me glad that I have a strong President who openly recognizes a power greater than himself, who sees a picture bigger than our isolated country and this one moment in time... A leader who is not afraid to do what it takes to safeguard the freedoms that so many Americans take for granted.

... A leader who is not afraid to do what it takes to protect our country from terrorist threats and attacks, who is willing to do what it takes to finish what we started in Iraq, in order promote democracy in an unstable region in the Middle East -- which is critical to maintaining the upper hand against the terrorists.

... A leader who realizes that, as a nation, "we have been given much" and so "in return, much is expected."

...A leader who realizes the need for our great nation to get involved, from time to time, in other parts of the world, in order to protect those who cannot protect themselves (i.e., the people of Darfur region, in Africa).

May God continue to bless and guide our President and his advisers.

May God bless the members of our Congress and help them to work together, with each other and President Bush, for the greater good of our nation and the world at large.

May God bless, protect, provide for and heal all who live in fear as a result of persecution, illness, or poverty. May God protect innocent children everywhere.

May God bless the brave men and women of our armed forces that are currently serving in the middle east. May God bring these soldiers home safely to be reunited with their loved ones. May God bless and provide for the needs of the loved ones of these soldiers in their absence.

Amen and goodnight.

No comments: